Monday, January 6, 2014

END OF STORY

Picking picking at cardboard sides missing sides see through box might have had fish little fish in little bodies of fish turned on their sides turned on its side leaning towards death leaning in death not even a box picking picking at cardboard sides missing sides flaps flimsy flaps setting one's mind on a bit of flimsy before pickings became even flimsier and they have not had a shortage of flimsy flaps thinned and dried up down to the passages underneath tubes cardboard tubes cardboard wrapped around nothing just designed into itself and stuck sticking together for flaps now flimsy flaps before pickings became even flimsier picking picking at cardboard sides missing sides see through box might have had fish little fish in little bodies of fish turned on their sides turned on its side leaning towards death leaning in death.

Rabid
Is it that the swing
Hands on 
the choking feeling
just a clearing of efforts
born with holes in them
went through them 
anyway
the holes
went through with the holes
asses they were
went through them
run right through you
who are
it starts again
it starts with a burst tumor

Was still is a landing platform road stretch of Earth it doesn't stretch it sits there on its rump and its blemishes of highs and lows was still is high was low was high still is high sort of a not as if running at the stickers are not doing a very good job of staying on were at one point was still is a landing platform road stretch of Earth it doesn't stretch it sits there on its frets and rummages about in cans twisted by now cut hands cut off long while ago and that has been that cold bricks heated by the inferno over our heads where have the roofs gone off to taking some kind of time off of so many hands hands draped over shelves split in half by fallen grunts spitting pits of not going to make it say a tangled climb onto a ledge drummed into preparations for crushing into shrugs gestures powdery enough to be asked to leave with the next backhanded gust.

"Where did you see him?  And what did you say he looked like?"
"One at a time for shit's sake."
"You spotted several and they were taking a crap?"
"No, you buffoon you post-luminescent moron.  I meant one at a time with the questions with the steps the sequence."
"All right if you want me to pinch the conversation between my thumb and forefinger I can do that.  Where did you see him?"
"By a fence I think."
"What kind of fence?"
"A chain link fence."
"And where was this chain link fence?"
"Somewhere not near here."
"Can you be more specific?"
"I think I could have possibly seen some metal fragments resembling car parts around there."
"Car parts? Are you sure? Why didn't you tell me?"
"It just resurfaced. If you like I can flush again."
"And what's with this one at a time thing anyway when you don't seem to have any problem with composing two insults in a single breath."
"Almost yields a hint of tearful residue in these bloodless eyes when I think that I used to be able to square off and fire 3 and sometimes even 4 at a time."
"Car parts are certainly better than running into a person."
"The only downside was that if I could get 4 insults out I'd more than likely get the hiccups."

Fading slow
There are more missing pieces
Less to see
Less light
And that is almost even
with pulling your
underwear out of your crack
not yours mine
not mine yours
can't keep anything
straight anymore
you always said
I never touched you

"When I grind my teeth long enough I can erase entire cabinets of thoughts in my head."
"Did you say that?"
"What I was just saying about my teeth?"
"No, less light."
"It is getting dark."
"I've always preferred less light until I see it can get darker."
"I can only summon the stars when my head reverberates with pain afterwards. That pain doing away with before."
"14."
"On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rank it a 14."
"No the person I saw.  They had a number 14."
"Where did they have the number 14?"
"By the fence."
"Where on their person was the number?"
"It was on the front of a wool cap they were wearing."
"Did it look like there was something more that might have worn away or fallen off?"
"Just a big number 14."
"Just that and nothing else?  Weird."
"Big and right on the front of their wool cap."
"His wool cap."
"I'm not sure."
"I thought you said you saw a man."
"No, I didn't."
"Then why didn't you correct me when I asked where you saw him?"
"I'm trying."
"You're trying what?"
"I'm trying to figure out what sort of problem I'm having."
"You never mentioned if you said anything to her."
"Because I didn't."
"Why didn't you say anything to her?"
"How could I when she couldn't put it any plainer?"
"What did she say to you?"
"She didn't have to say anything.  It was the look she had as she passed by that fence and then passed on by me.  She seemed to be saying to me you see this fence this thing that barely counts as one side of anything that can't even begin to close in any bounded space I'm looking back only long enough for you to see this face this mouth that was so soft for hard things now tied into a knot I'm looking back only long enough for you to see that and so I can turn away and not see what you'll spill on the Earth behind me."
"All that from her not even saying a word."
"I don't know what threw me off. I was instead going to mention the marks on her arm and try to deduce what type of animal might have inflicted it."
"And you said nothing to her.  You remained silent in her presence."
"What presence?  She passed through that dismal space with a certain something that didn't even qualify as something. It could only be called ephemeral."
"You made it sound as if it was much more than that."
"Then I remembered when we used to tell each other about all the deaths due to animals and in what manner."
"When there were animals."
"We've gotten out of practice.  I used to make a sound and you would have a guess at what could have made it."
"And you said nothing to her.  Didn't even get a name.  Just a fucking number 14."
"Right on the front of their wool cap."
"His wool cap."
"Just a big number 14."
"Just that and nothing else. Weird."

Was still is a landing platform road stretch of Earth it doesn't stretch it sits there on its rump and its blemishes of highs and lows was still is high was low was high still is high sort of a not as if running at the stickers are not doing a very good job of staying on were at one point was still is a landing platform road stretch of Earth it doesn't stretch it sits there on its frets and rummages about in cans twisted by now cut hands cut off long while ago and that has been that cold bricks heated by the inferno over our heads where have the roofs gone off to taking some kind of time off of so many hands hands draped over shelves split in half by fallen grunts spitting pits of not going to make it say a tangled climb onto a ledge drummed into preparations for crushing into shrugs gestures powdery enough to be asked to leave with the next backhanded gust.


- Max Stoltenberg





No comments:

Post a Comment